Winter is officially here! As a reminder, please pay special attention any possibility of frozen pipes in your facilities. Especially: Any construction that has been done in the last year or penetrations that did not affect pipes last year, could freeze this winter. Those areas should be walked with a thermometer and checked. Pay attention to “curtain” or outside walls where work was done.
Sprinkler work that is open to outside air penetrations:
- Loading docks
- Outside air plenum rooms
- Roof mechanical rooms
- Stairwells on outside walls
- Fire stairs that exit directly to the street
- Please make sure all heat trace that is supposed to be working is in fact pulling amps
- Cooling tower lines
- Hose tank lines
- All OA dampers should be air tight when closed
- Some buildings may have to shut outside hose spigots (this could apply to your home as well)
Remember, if a sprinkler system is in danger of freezing, YOU MAY BE ABLE TO isolate a drain a portion of it (CHECK LOCAL CODES AND YOUR LOCAL FIRE HOUSE), BUT YOU MUST NOTIFY CENTRAL STATION AND FDNY DISPATCH.
For more details on the winter storm click here.